my mother met Maria at the lodge in Vermont… not that he’ll believe her either..
I can’t stop laughing. It’s the most idiotic thing to be stubborn about, but that’s my dad. Some of the Von Trapps even live around Baltimore. It’s just…well it explains a lot, doesn’t it?
My dad refuses to believe that the Von Trapp family was a real family
I agree with this so hard.
I mean, no one will ever be as unbelievably sexy as Christopher Plummer was in the first Sound of Music movie.
To be fair, who is? (
I may or may not have had my sexual awakening when he blew that whistle. ) But Stephen Moyer did a nice job and he has a commanding physical presence which doesn’t hurt.
So if you’re a college student and also the praying sort, I feel it is my duty to let you know that there is, in fact, a patron saint of test takers and poor students.
His name is Joseph of Cupertino, and the story goes that when he went to be examined for Minor Orders, he prayed for God’s intercession the night before because (due to learning difficulties) he was really only proficient in the knowledge of one subject. On the day of his examination he was asked about the one thing he happened to know about, and answered so well that he got in based on that one question alone.
Just to drive it home, this is the prayer for his intercession:
O Great St. Joseph of Cupertino who while on earth did obtain from God the grace to be asked at your examination only the questions you knew, obtain for me a like favour in the examinations for which I am now preparing. In return I promise to make you known and cause you to be invoked.
They always tell this story at the last mass before finals where I go to college. For obvious reasons. He also levitated due to his ecstatic visions. That happened a lot, apparently.
This has been Children’s Fun Fact: Religion Corner.
And for Jewish tumblr folks, this is the prayer said before Torah study:
Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melekh ha-olam, asher kiddeshanu be’mitzvotav, ve’tzivanu la’asok be’divrei Torah
Blessed art thou, Lord our G-d, King of the universe, who sanctifies us with Thy commandments and commanded us to engross ourselves in the words of the Torah.
Then again, Jewish people see study as a form of prayer in and of itself, so if that helps, go with it.
So Stephen Moyer is not Christopher Plummer hot, but his Captain Von Trapp definitely does not suck.
Definitely with you on donmar, obviously. Yessssss go see rylance!!!
Oh I am definitely going to go see it. There’s no way I’m going to miss it. That and the Stewart/McKellen double bill.
Finally getting around to watching the new Sound of Music movie. I don’t think it’s as bad as people were saying it was, but Carrie Underwood is woefully miscast. It takes someone special to fill Julie Andrews’ shoes, and she’s just not cutting it. I would have cast Anika Noni Rose.
Musicals totally count! I just didn’t think to specify :)
I’m usually not a musical theatre person, either, but there happen to be a handful of very good musicals on Broadway right now. I also haven’t seen as much this year, particularly because I was so busy producing my own work. I saw a buttload of good theatre in 2012, though. That was the year of the Sam Mendes/Kevin Spacey Richard III.
I love you too because you’re the bessssssssttttttttt
THE BEST FRIENDSHIP TO EVER FRIENDSHIP. EEEVVEEEEEERRRRR
hotbritishguyspluscats replied to your post“hotbritishguyspluscats replied to your post:top five meals you cooked,…”
:D I love food. I love to feed people who I love and I love it when people who love me feed me :D
I think I just love you.
delusional-sunset replied to your post“Top 5 new discoveries of people/places/things you enjoy in 2013?”
Doc Martens are actually the best… I got my first pair to have a sturdy pair for London, and… well, they’re just wonderful.
They are literally the best shoes.
AHHHHHHHHH i asked my m om for some im so excited ;u;
AS YOU SHOULD BE. You should get a pair in a neon color. Mine are in a black and pink floral Liberty print.
I am SO UPSET that I cannot wear Docs in boot form — my legs/feet are exactly the wrong shape and they wrinkle up in a way that tears up my heels. I love their shoes though.
Ah, that is a bummer. My Docs took forever to break in, but now they’re molded to my feet. But the nice thing about Docs is that no matter what type of shoe you buy from them, they all last forever. Seriously, the apocalypse will come and all we’ll have left is cockroaches, Keith Richards, twinkies and a fuck load of Doc Marten’s.
Top five plays you saw (that you weren't directly involved in)
I have to include musicals, because the state of NY theatre is THAT DEPRESSINGLY MEDIOCRE.
5. The Heiress- In retrospect, this wasn’t a perfect production, but damn was David Strathairn good. Seeing him live was worth the cost of admission.
4. Newsies- If every musical was like this, I’d have more hope for musical theatre. Also, dancing boys is always a plus. ALWAYS.
3. Once- I am normally against turning movies into musicals, but this show is probably the only musical that actually improves on the original source material. This is one of the most emotional nights I’ve ever spent in the theatre.
2. Arigato, Tokyo by Daniel MacIvor at Toronto’s Buddies in Bad Times Theatre- BBTT is a theatre devoted to producing LGBTQA related theatre and they are very much worth checking out. The play itself was flawed, but it was so exquisitely staged and performed it made up for some of the inadequacies of the writing.
1. The Donmar Warehouse Julius Caesar. Hands down, no question. This production was probably the best thing I’ve seen in years.
I haven’t seen The Globe Twelfth Night or Richard III yet, so this list will likely change soon.
I’m getting Docs for Christmas and I’m SO FLIPPIN’ EXCITED
I LOVE MINE SO MUCH. They’re super comfortable, warm, and waterproof. There is literally nothing I could want more.
top five headdesk moments.
I can only pick five?
5. Almost anything Seth MacFarlane did this year, but particularly his Oscar hosting job.
4. The head of programming at NBC benching Parks and Recreation in favor of whatever the fuck that Sean Hayes show was (is?). Also, everything Saturday Night Live is and does.
3. Ted Cruz and Rand Paul’s filibusters and the idiots who thought there was even the slightest comparison between what they did and what Wendy Davis did.
2. The fucking George Zimmerman verdict. In fact, headdesk doesn’t even feel like a strong enough action for this one.
1. The media reaction to Madiba’s death. And yes, tumblr, that means you too. I have seen everything from people calling Nelson Mandela a terrorist to tumblr users suggesting that you can only mourn Madiba if you’re a person of color. I have seen politicians and bloggers alike use Mandela as a prop to support their own arguments. We didn’t even get a moment to process before this shit started. It’s still going on. I’m beyond furious about it and it needs to fucking stop right now.
Top 5 new discoveries of people/places/things you enjoy in 2013?
5. I bought my first pair of Doc Martens this year. I will never own another brand of boots.
4. This was the year that I met a few tumblr people in “real life.” I couldn’t be more glad that I did.
3. This was the year that I learned about the thing of beauty that is a raw oyster. GOOD LORD.
2. This one hardly feels like a new place, considering I lived there for three years, but I got to know Toronto for the first time this year. I was a baby when we lived there and every time I’ve been back has been for a Jewish holiday or wedding, so I really had no knowledge of what the city was really like. When I went back in March, I got to experience the theatre scene, the restaurant scene, the diversity of the neighborhoods. It was just awesome.
1. This year, I learned that I was capable, not only of directing myself and others at the same time, but that I am also capable of directing three plays at once. I might be out of my damn mind.
goodshipophelia replied to your post“top five meals you cooked, and songs you heard for the first time?”
did you mean Top Five Nights I Was Mad I Don’t Live With Becca??? THOSE ALL LOOK INCREDIBLE W O W.
This year was the year I got really confident in the kitchen. I’ve been cooking on my own, regularly for three years now and I finally feel like I can experiment. Also, when you eventually come visit me, I WILL COOK YOU THE WORLD’S MOST EPIC MEAL.
also I have a final in an hour I can’t sit here with Roll Jordan Roll on repeat crying
The first thing I did after seeing the movie was buy that track off iTunes. So I could listen to it on repeat and continue to cry.
may i please have top five meals you cooked?